Information for 2020 Summer Intern Applicants
Applications for the 2020 Summer Internship Program will open by Oct. 14, 2019 and close Jan. 13, 2020.
- Semi-finalist applicants will be contacted in early February and interviews will begin to be conducted in mid-February.
- Interns will be notified of their acceptance into the program by early April.
- The internship program begins on May 27, 2020 and concludes August 7, 2020.
- Host sites and project descriptions will be shared alongside the launch of the application. To review examples of previous host sites and the projects that have been completed by interns, visit our blog.
Applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Applicants must be a college junior or senior in fall 2020 or a graduating senior in spring 2020.
- If not a student attending a college or university in Cuyahoga, Lake or Geauga counties, applicants must be a permanent resident of Cuyahoga, Lake or Geauga counties.
- Applicants should exhibit interest in the nonprofit or public sectors.
- Applicants must not be a relative of a member of Cleveland Foundation staff or Board of Directors.
Other highly desirable qualifications include:
- A strong academic record (preferably a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above)
- Strong English verbal and written communications skills
How to Apply:
(If you have registered with us in the past you can skip the registration step and go to the Login link below)
- Register for access to our online application gateway by entering your name and email, and creating a login ID. An email will be sent to you within 5 minutes. Please check your spam folder. Click on the link in the email to complete the registration process.
- Login (with the email address you used to register), complete the internship application and upload your documents. NEW: You will need to complete the application and upload supporting documents for each mandatory requirement before you can “submit” your application. Deadline to submit: January 13, 2020.
- Please note that a section of the application requires you to enter a personal statement describing your interest in the nonprofit or public sectors, why you are applying for the summer internship program, and your previous work and volunteer experiences. Written as an essay, your personal statement will help the selection committee learn more about you and also evaluate your writing skills. Maximum length is 3,500 characters (approximately 500 words).
Required Documents (to be uploaded in .pdf format):
- Most recent transcript of all your college-level study
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your academic work, employment experience or community/volunteer activities.
- We recommend that you upload the letters of recommendation directly into your online application. However, if your personal reference prefers to email their recommendation to us directly, they may . You will then need to upload a statement identifying the reference who will be emailing a Letter of Recommendation on your behalf. We will upload all Recommendation Letters received by the application deadline.
For questions about the program, contact:
Stephanie Molnar, Program Officer, Leadership Development
- Have all documents required for the application ready to upload in a .pdf format (your resume, transcripts, essay and two letters of recommendation)
- Start early – applications must be submitted by the deadline of Jan. 13, 2020
- The application submission process (if you have your personal statement essay and all documents ready) should take about 15 minutes