Minimum GPA: 3.0
Location or HS: Cleveland
Deadline: March 15, 2021
App Type: General App
Purpose: Since 1948, the Cleveland Women’s City Club Foundation has awarded more than $400,000 in grants to nonprofit organizations and institutions in Greater Cleveland. Its mission is to provide educational, cultural, and social projects and programs that benefit the general public. Some of the grants have gone to Women’s City Club programs such as the Bellflower Center for Prevention of Child Abuse, Cleveland Arts Prize, and the Whitney Young Junior National Honor Society. In 2009, the Cleveland Women’s City Club Foundation established two scholarship programs at the Cleveland Foundation. One is designated to the YWCA of Cleveland to support female high school graduates (or GED recipients) aging out of the foster care system. The other program, for which details are noted below, is to provide scholarships to graduates of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District who are accepted at an accredited college or university in the United States, have maintained a minimum 3.0 grade-point average, and demonstrate financial need.
- Female graduate of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District
- Accepted at any accredited college or university in the United States and enrolling for full-time attendance
- 3.0 grade-point average
- Financial need (used as a tiebreaker)
Application Method: Submit a General Application and Basic Requirements through our Scholarship Gateway
Additional/Specific Requirements for Application:
- A topic specific essay addressing the question, “What would you do to improve the City of Cleveland or enhance the lives of Cleveland residents?”
- Letters of reference should include one from a teacher and one from a community agency
- Be sure to include extracurricular and/or civic activities on your application
Selection process: A selection committee is appointed by the Cleveland Foundation. Award amount is based on the earnings of the fund and its spending policy, and is variable based on the needs of the student.
Award process: Formal notification of award will be made by the Cleveland Foundation to the selected recipient(s). Awards will be paid to the school for the benefit of the student and must be applied to tuition, fees, books, supplies, and/or equipment required for coursework.
- Maintain full-time enrollment status
- Email a grade report to the Scholarship team for each term (min 3.0 GPA required)
- A thank you note to the donors and selection committee members for this fund is not required but always appreciated and may be sent via email.
Renewable Award: This award will be renewed for a maximum of 4 total years support provided the student meets the scholarship requirements and funding remains available. See the Scholarship How to Apply web page for Renewal Instructions and deadline.