Minimum GPA: 2.5
Amount: $500 to $1,500
Location or HS: Cleveland
Deadline: March 15, 2021
App Type: General App
Purpose: Derek Owens served with the Cleveland Police Department for 10 years and was assigned to the 4th District. At his passing in March 2008, family, friends, and co-workers contributed resources to commemorate his life by enhancing the opportunities for higher education for graduating high school seniors in the City of Cleveland’s 4th District. They noted that Officer Owens was not only committed to law enforcement in the City of Cleveland, but also to community service and personal outreach. This scholarship is to assist young people to develop into leaders of their families and their communities.
- Graduating high school senior (or graduated within one year)
- Residing in the 4th District of the Cleveland Police Department
- Enrolling in an accredited College or University on a full-time basis
Application method: Submit a General Application and Basic Requirements through our Scholarship Gateway
Additional requirement: Include a topic specific essay answering the question: What would you do to improve the City of Cleveland or enhance the lives of Cleveland residents?
Selection process: A selection committee appointed by the Cleveland Foundation will base its decisions on the completed application and requirements with consideration to academic merit (minimum 2.5 GPA), financial need, and commitment to community service.
- Maintain full-time enrollment status
- Email a grade report to the Scholarship team for each term
- A thank you note to the donors and selection committee members for this fund is not required but always appreciated and may be sent via email.
One-time award: This is a one-time award and may not be renewed for subsequent years.