Minimum GPA: 2.5
Amount: varies to a maximum of $3,000
College: Cleveland State Urban Affairs School
Deadline: March 15, 2018
App Type: General App
Purpose: To provide scholarship support for students attending or accepted at Cleveland State University Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs pursuing a public service career.
Robert E. Hagan was deeply committed to public service. He was an outspoken critic of the Vietnam War, and he marched in civil rights protests and on union picket lines. He argued for a public employees’ collective bargaining bill and a nuclear freeze resolution. Mr. Hagan wrote: “The introspective politician is in constant battle with mind and conscience – between what is morally right and pragmatically possible. Often the difference is not easily defined. Whatever path taken, the politician has to live with his decision.”
- Attending or accepted at Cleveland State University Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs pursuing a public service career
- Resident of the State of Ohio
- Registered voter
- Degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student
- minimum 2.5 GPA
- Part-time (two courses) or full-time status
Additional requirements for application:
- proof of registered-voter status
- Two brief topic specific essays:
- Comment on the significance of Robert E. Hagan’s quote: “The introspective politician is in constant battle with mind and conscience – between what is morally right and pragmatically possible. Often the difference is not easily defined. Whatever path taken, the politician has to live with his decision.” (no more than two double-spaced pages)
- Answer the following question: How do you intend to pursue a career in the public service?
Application method: Submit a General Application and Basic Requirements through our Scholarship Gateway.
Award process: The award amount for part-time enrollment will be adjusted appropriately. Formal notification of award will be made by the Cleveland Foundation to the selected recipient(s). Awards will be paid to the school for the benefit of the student and must be applied to tuition, fees, books, supplies, and/or equipment required for coursework.
Selection: Selection decisions are based on your completed application and requirements, demonstrated evidence of your commitment to public service and community activities, and financial need.
- Maintain full-time enrollment status (unless awarded for part-time two course minimum)
- Email a grade report to the Scholarship team for each term (min 3.0 GPA required)
- A thank you note to the donors and selection committee members for this fund is not required but always appreciated and may be sent via email or mailed to the Cleveland Foundation, Scholarships, 1422 Euclid Avenue, Suite 1300, Cleveland, Ohio, 44115.
Renewable Award: This award will be renewed for a maximum of 2 total years support provided the student meets the scholarship requirements and funding remains available. See the Scholarship How to Apply web page for Renewal Instructions and deadline.
For questions or further information, contact: Student Services Officer, Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs, or the Cleveland Foundation Scholarship Office at 216-861-3810