Minimum GPA: 2.6
Location or HS: Cleveland Public Schools
Deadline: March 15, 2019
App Type: General App
Purpose: The Stephanie Tubbs Jones Memorial Scholarship was funded in 2008 at the passing of the Hon. Stephanie Tubbs Jones, former U.S. congresswoman serving the 11th Congressional District and a native of Cleveland. Rep. Tubbs Jones served with distinction in several capacities in a life of public service. She was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1998, becoming the first African-American woman to represent Ohio in Congress. She was chairwoman of the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, becoming the first African-American to chair a standing House committee. She also held a seat on the Ways and Means Committee. This scholarship, begun by family and friends of the highly regarded congresswoman, is envisioned to provide financial support for graduating high school seniors from the Cleveland Metropolitan School District. Applicants must have at least a 2.6 grade-point average (GPA), or equivalent, and evidence financial need.
- Must be a graduating high school senior from the Cleveland Metropolitan School District
- Must have, at a minimum, a 2.6 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Must be accepted for a full-time course of study at an accredited educational institution, pursuing a baccalaureate degree
- Must demonstrate financial need
Application method: Submit a General Application and Basic Requirements through our Scholarship Gateway
Selection criteria and process: A selection committee appointed by the Cleveland Foundation will base selections on the completed application, commitment to academic achievement, a well-rounded background including community service activities and team or work experiences, motivation, and financial need.
Award process: The annual award amount and number of awards will be based on the earnings of the fund. Formal notification of award will be made by the Cleveland Foundation to the selected recipient(s). Awards will be paid to the school for the benefit of the student and must be applied to tuition, fees, books, supplies and/or equipment required for coursework.
- Maintain full-time enrollment status
- for each term (min 2.0 GPA required) and demonstrating a progressive cumulative GPA each year.
- A thank you note to the donors and selection committee members for this fund is not required but always appreciated and may be or mailed to the Cleveland Foundation, Scholarships, 1422 Euclid Avenue, Suite 1300, Cleveland, Ohio, 44115.
Renewable Award: This award will be renewed for a maximum of 4 total years support provided the student meets the scholarship requirements and funding remains available. See the Scholarship How to Apply web page for Renewal Instructions and deadline.