Minimum GPA: 2.0
Amount: $1,000 to $3,000
Location or HS: Cuyahoga, Lake, or Geauga counties
Deadline: March 15, 2017
App Type: General App
Supported by the Eunice Westfall Allen Memorial Scholarship, the Lewis B. Balslew Scholarship Fund, Central High School, Garnetta B. & Leroy W. Christenson, Jamir Miller Foundation, Robert & Freida Vrana Fund, The Miram L. Whitsey and Edna A. Whitsey Fund, and the David & Bertha Wiggins Scholarship Fund and the Donna S. Dettner Trust.
Purpose: To provide scholarship support with a particular focus on enhancing access to higher education by those populations that are underserved or underrepresented in higher education programs. The program will provide scholarship grants to worthy students (including graduating high school seniors and academic achievers with financial need). Support will also be offered to those who are 21 years and older that are pursuing higher education, or a course of training that enhances their potential for gainful employment, and who demonstrate financial need. Examples of underserved are African-American or Hispanic males, Native Americans, adults returning to school, first-generation college attendees, and single heads of household.
Eligibility: To be eligible, you must:
- Be enrolled or accepted in an undergraduate program at an accredited, Pell-eligible educational institution, or a certified vocational/technical program
- Be a resident of Cuyahoga, Lake or Geauga counties
- Be enrolled either full-time (12 credit hours) or half-time (six credit hours) per term
- Have a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade-point average (GPA) on a 4.0 grade scale
- Demonstrate financial need
Selection process: A selection committee composed of a broad mix of Greater Clevelanders will select scholarship recipients based on the completed applications. Additional criteria considered in awarding the scholarship grants will include commitment to education, character, potential, and ability to benefit.
Application method: Submit a General Application and Basic Requirements through our Scholarship Gateway
Award information: Annual scholarship awards have ranged from $1,000 to $3,000. The award amount for part-time enrollment will be adjusted appropriately. Formal notification of award will be made by the Cleveland Foundation to the selected recipient(s). Awards will be paid to the school for the benefit of the student and must be applied to tuition, fees, books, supplies, and/or equipment required for coursework.
- Maintain a full-time enrollment status (or a minimum of 6 credit hours for part-time awards)
- Email a grade report to the Scholarship team for each term (min 2.0 GPA required)
- A thank you note to the donors and selection committee members for this fund is not required but always appreciated and may be sent via email or mailed to the Cleveland Foundation, Scholarships, 1422 Euclid Avenue, Suite 1300, Cleveland, Ohio, 44115.
Renewable Award: This award will be renewed for a maximum of 4 total years support provided the student meets the scholarship requirements and funding remains available.