Minimum GPA: 2.75
Location or HS: Greater Cleveland
Deadline: March 15, 2020
App Type: General App
Purpose: To provide scholarship support for worthy students pursuing community service-based college degrees. Applicants must be residents of the cities of Bedford, Cleveland, Cleveland Heights, University Heights, East Cleveland, Garfield Heights, Lakewood, Maple Heights, Warrensville Heights, Euclid, South Euclid or Shaker Heights (note: Antioch Baptist Church members may reside anywhere). Applicants must be currently enrolled as a senior in high school, and accepted as a degree-seeking candidate, full- or part-time (minimum six credit hours). Early college credit accepted. Selection decisions are based on evidence of community service, academic performance, leadership, volunteer activities, and personality. Preference is given to members of Antioch Baptist Church and African-Americans.
About the program: The Rev. Dr. Marvin A. McMickle Scholarship Fund was established in 1997 by Antioch Baptist Church and named to honor its pastor, Rev. Dr. Marvin A. McMickle. The purpose of the fund is to provide one-time scholarship assistance to worthy students pursuing community service-based college degrees, with a preference for urban education majors.
- Be a resident of Cleveland, its inner-ring suburbs (Bedford, Cleveland Heights, Euclid, Garfield Heights, Lakewood, Maple Heights, Shaker Heights, South Euclid, University Heights, Warrensville Heights), or the city of East Cleveland, unless a member of the Antioch Baptist Church
- Currently enrolled as a senior in high school (early college credit accepted)
- Be accepted as an undergraduate degree-seeking candidate, pursuing a minimum of six credit hours toward a degree commensurate with a community service-based career
- Have a minimum 2.75 grade-point average on a 4.0 grade-point scale
Application method: Submit a General Application and Basic Requirements through our Scholarship Gateway
Selection process: A selection committee will base its scholarship decisions on the completed application and on evidence of commitment to community service, academic performance, leadership, volunteer activities, and personality. Preference is given to members of Antioch Baptist Church and African-Americans.
Award process: The annual award amount will be based on the performance of the fund and number of applicants selected. The general award amount is $1,000. Formal notification of award will be made by the Cleveland Foundation to the selected recipient(s). Awards will be paid to the school for the benefit of the student and must be applied to tuition, fees, books, supplies, and/or equipment required for coursework.
- Maintain full-time enrollment status (unless awarded for part-time minimum of 6 credit hours)
- Submit a grade report for each term (min 2.0 GPA required)
- A thank you note to the donors and selection committee members for this fund is not required but always appreciated and may be or mailed to the Cleveland Foundation, Scholarships, 1422 Euclid Avenue, Suite 1300, Cleveland, Ohio, 44115.
One-time award: This is a one-time award and may not be renewed for subsequent years.