The Cleveland Foundation works to attract and retain a talented community—in the workforce, in the civic sector, and at home. We envision Greater Cleveland as a place of opportunity, led by innovative minds from home and around the globe, starting from early childhood to retirement.
Early Childhood & Youth Development
The foundation understands the importance of early experiences in shaping tomorrow’s leaders. From birth through high school graduation, the foundation supports programs and networks that help young people get a healthy start, learn about themselves and develop skills that will help them succeed, such as:
- PRE4CLE, a partnership tocreate more high-quality pre-school seats and help people better understand and access the high-quality schools available.
A group mentoring program that connects every Cleveland Metropolitan School District 8thgrader with a dedicated adult mentor to help set goals for success on the path to college and career readiness.
- Saint Martin de Porres Corporate Work Study Program
Since 2005, nearly 50 students from Saint Martin de Porres High School have joined the Cleveland Foundation in paid roles that supplement tuition and provide important career exploration.
Young Professional Development
The foundation supports programs and networks that help young people gain the experiences they need to launch their careers and make an impact in the community.
- Cleveland Foundation Summer Internship Program– Since 1999, the foundation has provided undergraduate students and recent college grads an opportunity to work with Cleveland-area nonprofit and public sector organizations in an 11-week paid internship.
- Cleveland Foundation Public Service Fellowship– Launched in 2016, the Cleveland Foundation Public Service Fellowship offers emerging young leaders from across the country a 12-month full-time paid placement at a selected public sector agency in Cleveland.
- Cleveland Foundation Scholarships – Awarded more than $3 million in scholarship support in 2017.
Mid- to Late-Career Leadership Development
The foundation also supports opportunities for experienced professionals to channel their knowledge and skills to work for the greater good.
- American Marshall Memorial Fellows– Since 2001, the foundation has partnered with the German Marshall Fund on the Memorial Marshall Fellowship, which offers local leaders an opportunity to explore European politics, business, innovation and culture.
- Encore Cleveland– Launched in 2013, Encore Cleveland helps to provide a wide array of meaningful opportunities for Greater Clevelanders who are nearing or in retirement from their primary careers and wish to discover their second act.