Creating Pathways to Careers in the Nonprofit and Public Sectors
The Cleveland Foundation has conducted a summer internship program since 1999 that provides talented and diverse undergraduate students and recent college graduates an opportunity to work within Cleveland-area nonprofit and public sector organizations. Beyond an 11-week paid internship experience, interns also participate in and coordinate seminars that highlight the work of local nonprofit and public sector organizations, their roles within the community, and opportunities for professional development.
October-December – Organizations are invited to apply to host a summer intern
February 15- Deadline for interns to apply to the program
March/April– Interviews with top candidates are conducted
April– Hiring decisions are made
Late May/August – 11-week job experience for interns takes place
Due to the ongoing impact of COVID-19, as we move closer to May, we will be continuing to monitor and adjust the format of the 2022 Summer Internship program in accordance with the ongoing guidance of public health experts and agencies. As part of the Leadership Development priority area, we remain committed to this program, but to ensure the safety of interns and staff, please be aware that internship experiences may be virtual, in-person, and/or a hybrid.
The program’s objectives include:
- Expanding local organizations’ capacity to conduct important short-term projects
- Providing a full time, paid internship opportunity ($15 per hour) and meaningful career-related work experience
- Creating pathways to careers in the nonprofit or public sectors, particularly within Greater Cleveland
- Exposing interns to a broad range of nonprofit/public sector organizations, leaders, and partnerships, building their first-hand knowledge of the Greater Cleveland nonprofit community and public sector initiatives
- Facilitating opportunities to support alumni and empower local leaders – fostering connections, discussion, learning, and collaboration within our region
Read more about past interns’ projects and experiences on our blog and follow #SummerofPurpose on social media for updates. You can subscribe to receive the Summer Internship Program e-newsletter here.
Also, check out these interviews with three former Summer Interns:
More Information & How to Apply:
Whether you’re a student who is interested in applying to become an intern, or you work for a nonprofit or public sector organization that is interested in hosting an intern, find more information and application instructions here: