The Cleveland Foundation works with partners to preserve, protect and restore our region’s environment to ensure residents can lead healthy lives today and in the future.
As one of the largest environmental grantmakers in the region, we’re committed to funding environmental organizations and projects of all sizes, while focusing our leadership on improving water quality and advancing clean energy.
Protecting Cleveland’s Freshwater
Cleveland sits on the shores of Lake Erie, the source of drinking water for more than 11 million people and our gateway to the Great Lakes. Protecting and restoring our lake is critical to our future. We seek to ensure everyone has access to clean, safe and affordable water.
- Reconnect residents, including those in vulnerable or disadvantaged communities, to our lake, rivers and creeks.
- Accelerate Cleveland and the region into a center for freshwater innovation and research.
- Advance local, regional, and statewide policies that improve water quality.
Building a Clean Energy Economy
We seek to build a region that can meet present energy demands while also ensuring a clean and secure energy future that will improve quality of life, create jobs, reduce carbon emissions, and strengthen our economy.
- Support projects to advance a clean energy future for Cleveland and the region.
- Position Cleveland as the epicenter of offshore wind energy production in the Great Lakes.
- Advance local, regional and statewide policies that support the transition to a clean energy economy.