Since 2008, the Cleveland Foundation has brought more than 90 accomplished or rapidly rising artists from around the world to Cleveland as part of an international arts residency program. Each year, artists from Creative Fusion cohorts are hosted by local cultural institutions during a three-month residency.
Creative Fusion artists collaborate with local Cleveland artists on a commissioned project during their stay, and engage directly with the community, making strong connections and exchanges. Beginning in 2016, the program strengthened collaboration between local Cleveland artists and the visiting artists by focusing each Creative Fusion cohort along a theme.
Creative Fusion: Data Edition
Hosted in partnership with Cleveland Neighborhood Progress (CNP), Hack Cleveland (HackCLE), ThirdSpace Action Lab, and DigitalC, Creative Fusion: Data Edition brings together three international and five Cleveland-based artists to focus on new ways to use and visualize Greater Cleveland neighborhood data through art. The artists will challenge us to think differently about who we consider to be an artist, a data scientist and/or an activist. Creative Fusion: Data Edition artists include:
Learn more about Creative Fusion: Data Edition here.
Creative Fusion: Composer Series
Presented in partnership with the Cleveland Museum of Art’s longstanding, year-round performing arts series, this Creative Fusion residency brings six diverse composers from around the world to the Cleveland Museum of Art, where they will draw inspiration for original compositions to be performed in Cleveland over the next two years. During their time in Cleveland, the composers will immerse themselves in the city and the museum’s collection.
The composers include:
- Luciano Chessa (Sardinia)
- Cenk Ergün (Turkey)
- Aya Nishina (Japan)
- Sophie Nzayisenga (Rwanda)
- Henry Threadgill (USA)
- Aleksandra Vrebalov (Serbia)
Learn more about these composers and the Creative Fusion: Composer Series residency here.
Creative Fusion: The Madison Residencies
In collaboration with FRONT International: Cleveland Triennial for Contemporary Art, the fall 2017 Creative Fusion cohort includes local, national and international artists who will live and/or work in the newly developed PNC Glenville Arts Campus as they research projects that will be unveiled as part of the inaugural FRONT Triennial, titled An American City. During the residency, the artists have the opportunity to work closely with city institutions, interact with the local community and explore Cleveland. The Madison Residency program is named in honor of Robert P. Madison, Ohio’s first licensed black architect and designer of the residency building at the Glenville Arts Campus. Madison Residency artists include:
- Juan Araujo (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Dana Awartani (London, United Kingdom/Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)
- A.K. Burns (New York, USA)
- Juan Capistran (Los Angeles, USA)
- Johnny Coleman (Oberlin, USA)
- Sean Connelly (Honolulu, USA)
- Elizabeth Emery (Cleveland, USA)
- Harrell Fletcher (Portland, USA)
- Dale Goode (Cleveland, USA)
- Lin Ke (Beijing, China)
- Guillaume Leblon (Paris, France/New York, USA)
- Adriana Martínez (Bogotá, Colombia)
- Michael Oatman (Cleveland, USA)
- Julie Ezelle-Patton (Cleveland, USA)
- John Riepenhoff (Milwaukee, USA)
- Indrė Šerpytytė (London, United Kingdom)
- Cally Spooner (London, United Kingdom)
- Lauren Yeager (Cleveland, USA)
Creative Fusion: Cuba Edition
The spring 2017 residency, Creative Fusion: Cuba Edition, was likely the first-of-its-kind exchange connecting cultural institutions of a major Midwestern city with a selection of celebrated Cuban artists for an extended project-based residency. The multidisciplinary cohort included internationally renowned artists showcasing the best in architecture, design, printmaking, photography/mixed media, the written word, ballet and modern dance. Learn more about Creative Fusion: Cuba Edition here.
Creative Fusion: Cuba Edition in the News
- Cuba wows Cleveland cultural delegation with artistic brilliance amid scarcity – Plain Dealer
- Cleveland Foundation Cuba trip will fuel Creative Fusion artist residencies this spring – Plain Dealer