The Minority Arts and Education Fund (MAEF) is a supporting organization of the Cleveland Foundation that seeks to strengthen and build the capacity of organizations that promote the arts and cultures of communities of color, and to provide meaningful creative opportunities for artists of color.
Current grant opportunities
Now through Oct. 30, 2020, the MAEF is accepting applications for grants ranging from $5,000 – $20,000 to organizations that are led by people of color and serve, engage in, and promote the arts and cultures – both traditional and new – of communities of African, Latinx, Asian, Pacific Islander, Indigenous and Middle Eastern descent.
Organizations may apply for grants to:
- Strengthen and/or grow their capacity to deliver high-quality, inclusive, and representative arts and cultural programming and services; and/or
- Host fellowships for artists of color, providing them with meaningful opportunities to create new work, practice arts management skills, and engage with the community.
At least one organization currently holding 501(c)3 tax-exempt status must serve as lead applicant for an MAEF grant. Organizations that do not currently have 501(c)3 tax-exempt status are eligible to apply in partnership with a tax-exempt organization. Artist fellowships will not be awarded directly to artists; a 501(c)3 organization must apply to host a fellowship opportunity.
Applicants who have not previously received a grant from the MAEF are encouraged to apply!
How to apply
Application instructions are provided in the Request for Proposals document, which can be downloaded by clicking the button above. PLEASE NOTE: There is a specific application portal for the MAEF, which is different than the foundation’s normal grant application portal. Here’s how to access it:
- Visit the Grants Gateway here. (If you do not already have login information, please complete the Grantee Login Request Form here.)
- Once you log in, please establish or update your organization profile.
- From the Grants Gateway Home page, click to the Apply for a Grant page.
- On the Apply for a Grant page, scroll down to find the Minority Arts and Education Fund application and click “Apply.”
If you were unable to attend the virtual information session held Friday, Sept. 11, or if you want to review the information again, you can watch the webinar recording on our YouTube channel:
For programmatic questions or information, contact:
Courtenay A. Barton, Program Director for Arts & Culture and Racial Equity Initiatives, 216-505-2225, firstname.lastname@example.org
For application or technical questions, contact:
Grants Management, 216-615-7254, email@example.com.
More about the MAEF
The Minority Arts and Education Fund (MAEF), a supporting organization of the Cleveland Foundation, was established in 1994 to provide for the planning, preparation, production, and/or presentation of cultural, educational, and scientific programs and projects which promote and benefit Cleveland’s minority populations.
The MAEF is an endowed fund with assets of approximately $3.6 million providing grantmaking in the local community from investment income. The Board of Directors is comprised of two appointees by the Mayor of the City of Cleveland, two appointees by the Chair of City Council, and five appointees by the Cleveland Foundation.