Need help paying for college? The Cleveland Foundation offers more than 60 scholarship funds that provide current and soon-to-be college students, as well as adults returning to school, the opportunity to pursue courses that enhance their professional, personal and vocational development. For more than 30 years, donors of the Cleveland Foundation have provided more than $54 million in scholarship awards to students. We’re now accepting scholarship applications for the 2020-21 academic year, and the deadline to apply for most awards is March 15, 2020. Here’s how you can apply:
- Explore the list of available scholarships by visiting our scholarships listing page. Most of the scholarships are designated for graduating high school seniors attending colleges and universities, but some of the foundation’s awards provide current college students and adults returning to school the opportunity to pursue courses that enhance their professional, personal and vocational development. Most of the scholarships require residence in Cuyahoga, Lake or Geauga counties, but in some instances, donors identified another geographic area of their choice, within the United States, when they established their scholarship fund.
- Start the process at our Scholarship Gateway, and complete the general scholarship application to be considered for multiple awards. The deadline for the general scholarship application is March 15, 2020.
- Start the application process as soon as possible! Applicants will need to submit letters of recommendation and school transcripts, and these steps alone can take two to three weeks. Visit our scholarships page for more information about application requirements.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Do not send us your FAFSA, but you will need to upload the Student Aid Report (SAR) showing your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The SAR and EFC are available to you after you complete the FAFSA. By completing the FAFSA, you may also qualify for state and federal grants and student loans.
- Check out our student resources page for tips about colleges, scholarships and financial aid.
On average, Cleveland Foundation scholarships range from $1,000 to $3,000, and many are renewable for up to four years. Awards are always in the form of grants that do not have to be repaid. If you would like to receive information about our scholarships in the future, sign up for our scholarships email list right here.